GEORGE TOWN: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) today raided several more locations as part of its ongoing investigation into undersea tunnel and three paired roads projects.
Its deputy chief commissioner (operations) Datuk Azam Baki said the MACC team recorded 11 statements and seized additional statements to facilitate the investigation.
However, he refused to reveal whether investigators had found fresh evidence. He added that the raid was carried out thoroughly and fairly.
“Let us conduct the investigation in detail and see whether there are elements of corruption and abuse of power as claimed in this case, or otherwise,” he said when contacted by Berita Harian today.
So far, MACC has raided 19 locations in Penang and Kuala Lumpur, including several government agency offices at Komtar and companies involved in the construction of the mega RM6.3 billion mega project.
MACC had also recorded 20 statements from witnesses to assist in the probe into the undersea tunnel and three highways.
Following the raid earlier this week, two Datuks were remanded at the magistrate’s court in Putrajaya and George Town on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, an MACC source said the case would enter new stage as the team is thoroughly looking at the seized documents.
"It specifically involves the bidding process undertaken to appoint a company for the purpose of conducting the feasibility study of the undersea tunnel,” the source said.
The source also said that MACC is investigating whether there was any violations of the guidelines when the project was awarded to the company.
The source said the value of conducting a feasibility study for the project, made through the land swap of two plots of land at Tanjung Tokong, was allegedly far higher than the minimum requirements set by Public Works Department.
“The investigating team is also looking into the documents and investigating allegations that there was a pre-selling of land rights worth RM3 billion,” the source added.