IPOH: Quick action by firefighters and residents of Taman Keledang Suria, Menglembu here saved a family of four from a fire that destroyed their house early Tuesday morning.

R. Selvi, 40, together with her children, P. Ugandran, 12, P. Premi, 19, and P. Sharmila, 17, were sound asleep when the incident took place about 2.30am.

Their neighbour, M. Kamala, 68 said she heard loud noises coming from outside.

"Feeling curious, I went out to see what happened and I was shocked to see Selvi's home on fire.

"The neighbours were all busy helping the family who was trapped on the second floor of their double-storey home.

"I could hear their voices screaming for help and knocking on the windows. I could not see anything else but thick smoke which has covered the area," she said when met at the scene.

Kamala added that the firefighters and neighbours managed to save the family who was found semi-conscious before being taken to Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital for further treatment.


Quick action by firefighters and residents of Taman Keledang Suria, Menglembu here saved a family of four from a fire that destroyed their house early Tuesday morning. Pic by NSTP/ courtesy of Fire and Rescue Department

Meanwhile, Selvi's sister, R. Kaladevi, 45, when met at the hospital said she was informed of the incident at about 3pm before she immediately rushed to the hospital.

"The doctors have informed me that all of them are currently in serious condition especially my sister due to excessive smoke inhalation.

"I haven't talked to them yet as they are now being monitored and treated at the Emergency Department," she added.

Meanwhile, state Fire and Rescue Department spokesman said that the family was trapped in the house and the mother was rescued by neighbours.

"The three siblings who were sleeping upstairs were found semi-conscious.

"The fire is believed to have started in the praying area in the living room downstairs," he said, adding that the operation ended at 4.51am.

207 reads

Related Articles

Most Read Stories by