Police will focus their attention on 20 accident-prone areas in the state for Ops Selamat 12 in conjunction with the upcoming Chinese New Year celebrations. (NSTP/DANIAL SAAD)

BUKIT MERTAJAM: Police will focus their attention on 20 accident-prone areas in the state for Ops Selamat 12 in conjunction with the upcoming Chinese New Year celebrations.

Among the accident-prone areas are the North-South Expressway, Sungai Dua, Juru, Balik Pulau, Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway, the Butterworth-Kepala Batas trunk road, Sungai Bakap and Jawi.

State police chief Datuk A Thaiveegan said police would conduct 24-hour patrolling in these areas to minimise accidents, particularly fatal crashes, throughout the Ops Selamat 12 duration, which will run until Feb 23.

"Ops Selamat 12 started a week before Chinese New Year and will continue until a week after the festive celebration, and in Penang, our focus will be on this 20 areas.

"Apart from minimising accidents, we also hope to address other crime cases during the festive season," he added.

Thaiveegan said during the Ops Selamat 11 last year, a total of 1,776 road accidents were recorded in Penang, an increase of 104 cases or 6.22 per cent compared to the previous year.

"Although the number of accidents increased, the number of fatal accidents saw a drop of three cases from 20 to 17 in the same period.

"Motorcyclists and their pillion riders continue to dominate the numbers of fatalities with 12 cases last year," he added.

199 reads

Related Articles

Most Read Stories by